One Big Giant Itch

One Big Giant ItchOne Big Giant Itch

This past weekend I had endeavored to get a lot done outside. One of the things I endeavored to do was to mow the lawn. Well, as things often are, it was difficult, probably because I couldn’t get the mower started. I was ready to be a lawn-mowing champ, but one can only be a lawn-mowing champ if one actually mows the lawn.

I have a lawn mower, a push mower, and it’s new. I took it out of the room it had been stored in and pulled the string. Nothing. I tried again. I tried priming it. I tried letting it sit and pulling the string again. Nothing. Nothing. Also more nothing.

I Googled on the internet and it said that maybe my gas was old. Good point, my gas probably was old. I had to leave the house anyway for a showing, so I decided to skedaddle away to Wal-mart. I bought some things I needed for my yard work and also some new gas, and came back home. I put new gas in the mower.

…and when I pulled the string…nothing happened.

Nothing. Nothing again and nothing some more. I tried everything in my limited knowledge of mowers to try to get the thing to start. My only ideas are either that my mower is having a problem or that I should generally pull my arm out of the socket each time I try to start it. I’m not sure which case it could be. Maybe my arm needs to come out of the socket to get it started, who knows.

Needless to say, I didn’t get the lawn mown.

No matter, I would do other yard work. I weeded the cactus bed, ouch. No matter what gloves I wear when I weed the cactus bed, I always get cactus stickers in my fingers.

Then I decided I would wear another circular bed in the yard. I pulled a bunch of stuff out of it. Then I decided to dig up the flower bed beside my house. I dug it up, three times. I took rocks out of it. I mixed in some new soil. At Wal-mart I had bought some Gladiolus bulbs to put in this bed. I planted those.

After this I decided to move some irises. I had a bunch of irises that were growing outside of a bed. I dug those up. I planted them beside the house. I planted some in the circular bed. I also dug up some odd little plant that was also just growing in the grass. It’s an actual flowering plant, not some random thing. I just don’t know what its name is.

I was worn out. I was sore everywhere. My toenails were even sore. I went to water my newly planted plants, and as it turns out, my hose was all busted up. I got in the shower and back to Wal-mart I went. I had to buy more hoses. My good hoses were ruined. No doubt because they weren’t taken care of very well.

I came back from Wal-mart and watered my plants. I decided to relax after this as I was about dead.

The next day, I noticed some red marks on my arms. Yep, poison ivy. It wasn’t too itchy that day, but it increasingly became itchier. Honestly, the best part about having poison ivy is putting it under scalding hot water. It really helps with the itch. It’s a lot worse than the picture now, but isn’t too itchy because I’ve been on this rodeo before. I know how this stuff works. It’s getting dried out or so help me.

Believe it or not, I’ve been using a lot of Dawn dish soap on this.

Mostly, I feel gross as if I’m developing some weird scaly skin, but I know it’s just poison ivy and it will go away. I just have to deal with the nasty itch until it does. It’s like many things in life, it’s annoying until it isn’t anymore, but it’s a pain in the butt as long as it’s annoying.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s